Personal Qualities List and Descriptions
Additional Resources for Chapter 5, page 67
The objective of this link is to provide you an array of qualities and characteristics under each of the ten topics designed to assist you in creating your own list of personal qualities. We follow the order of topics from the Personal Characteristics Chart—located at the end of chapter 5 and available (in larger size) under the tools icon in this chapter.
Most of the 168 items listed will not apply. That means that although you may be, for instance, occasionally depressed; you would not enter that on your chart as a personal characteristic. You need to include items that are: 1) really characteristic of you, and 2) likely to have an impact on who you date and eventually marry.
Some of the items are single words, others have a question mark after (asking, is this or is this not an issue?) and others suggest a continuum to alert you to the range of possibilities in a particular area. The lists are, of course, not comprehensive. But if you wish to complete an excellent profile of yourself, these items should cue ideas you had not previously considered.
See the Reference Personal Qualities List in this chapter for a much more extensive list.
Social and Relational
- Extroverted vs. introverted
- Loving vs. unloving
- Caring vs. uncaring
- Level of respect shown to others: low vs. high
- Critical vs. appreciative
- Level of humor: absent vs. abundant
- Communication ability
- Prejudiced or racist?
- Sociability: highly social vs. anti social
- Affectionate vs. cold
- Articulate vs. verbally clumsy
- Witty vs. dull
- Talkative vs. quiet
- Level of romanticism: low to high
- Sensitive vs. hard boiled
- Emotionality: excessive vs. cool and reserved
- Party animal vs. loner
- Level of loyalty
- Tactful vs. hurtfully blundering
- Overall importance of family: central vs. peripheral
- Loves extended family
- Enjoys huge family gatherings
- Children: wants vs. doesn’t want; loves vs. dislikes
- Divorced: yourself, parents? Number of former marriages
- Children from previous relationships
- Stability and quality of family of origin
- Good parenting skills
- Are there “problem people” from former relationships
- Pets: loves/wants them vs. hates/refuses them
- Honest vs. morally flexible
- Able to forgive vs. holds a grudge
- Spiritual vs. worldly minded
- Strength of convictions
- Attitude toward church attendance
- Attitude toward involvement with Church ministries
- Patterns of worship and prayer in the home?
- Frequency of reading spiritually uplifting material
- Selfish vs. altruistic
- Active vs. passive
- Anger control and expression
- Patience vs. impatience
- Neurotic vs. emotionally stable
- Self-esteem: Healthy vs. unhealthy
- Humble vs. proud
- Commitment: able vs. unable to form secure commitments
- Level of control: low vs. high level of control
- Industry: lazy bum to workaholic
- Frequency of depression: rare to omnipresent
- Stubborn vs. open to suggestions
- Attitude: Optimistic vs. pessimistic
- Poverty mindset vs. abundance mentality
- Decisive vs. waffling
- Highly principled vs. expedient
- Genuine vs. trivial
- Harbors hatred or bitterness
- Generous vs. stingy
- Broad minded vs. opinionated
- Narcissistic, that is, obsessed with self
- Ambitious vs. content with the status quo
- Level of energy: weak vs. Strong
- Interesting vs. boring
- Impulsive/reactive vs. thoughtful/planning
- Shallow vs. profound
- Cooperative vs. stubborn
- Neat and orderly vs. slovenly and disorderly
- Early riser?
- Tightly structured time management?
- Drug use?
- Squeaky clean vs. unsanitary
- Addictions: gambling, porn, soap operas, substances
- Sexuality: responsible vs. promiscuous
- Prudent vs. spendthrift
- Swears vs. verbally responsible
- Cultured vs. barbarian
- Responsible vs. irresponsible
- Argumentative vs. conflict avoider
- Passive aggressive?
- Work to create balance
- Work to get into the “divine flow”
- Music: enjoys listening vs. actively involved
- Love of the outdoors
- Spiritual growth
- Dogs, cats, or other animals
- Classical music/opera
- Classic movies
- Football/baseball/hockey/basketball/Olympic sports
- Personal growth
- Extraordinary talent or accomplishments
- Shop till you drop fanatic?
- Level of involvement/obsession in any of the areas listed above
- Importance of advancement in your profession
- Likelihood of change of location or change of profession
- Pride in performance
- Enjoyment of your profession
- How well your job provides financially
- Investment activities
- Present financial prosperity
- Goals to achieve wealth
- Reading and watching “trade” books/videos
- Committed to personal growth?
- Content with the status quo?
- Activities designed to improve your mind?
- Average number of books read per year
- Risk taker vs. obsessed with safety
- Visionary vs. lives in the moment
- Logical thinker vs. emotional, reactive thinker
- Level of education
- Weight: Obese, overweight, ideal weight, anorexic
- Body build
- Level of attractiveness
- Sexiness, level of allure: low to high
- Physical handicaps?
- Healthy vs. prone to illness
- Athleticism: low to high
- Regular exercise regimen vs. none
- Dietary (e.g., Vegetarian, low fat, high fiber, etc.)
- Weight reduction/maintenance program
- Exercise enthusiast
- Avoid exercise at all costs
- Read books/magazines and watch videos about health and fitness
- Member of city organizations (such as city council)
- Member of service clubs (Rotary, Interact, Elks, Lions)
- Active member of church
- Participate in church ministries
- Make financial contributions to missions or other worthy causes
- Member of other local organizations: PTA, SPCA
- Athletics coach
- Music teacher, director, conductor
- Work with homeless and disadvantaged
- Give blood
- Participate in town or highway clean ups
- Work actively with social causes (global warming, pollution etc.)
- Politics: party, interest in
- Country of origin
Qualities list with descriptions of each quality:
Explore our speaking, training and coaching solutions, or browse our store for relationship, love and marriage compatibility resources.
Backed by in-depth research, relationship compatibility experts Eliabeth George and Darren George have cracked the code to building forever love, relationship and marriage compatibility.
We understand the pressures your marriage must endure and we’re your go-to resource for your own marriage counseling, congregation retreats, conferences, small group sessions and singles ministries.
Browse Elizabeth's blog for the latest research, articles, tips, advice and stories of relationship, love and marriage compatibility.
Get free online relationship, love and marriage advice from relationship compatibility expert Elizabeth E. George and Compatibility Solutions Inc.